Monday, November 1, 2010

My Thank You Note

I feel like a good follow up to my homesick post full of ranting and sadness would be a thank you note, a sort of shout out to the people who get me through everything.

Instead of just listing names, I would like to list actions. So here is a sincere, heartfelt thank you to anyone who has:

  • Video chatted with me. You have no idea how big of a difference it makes in my life when I get to hear your voice and see your face.
  • Sent me a package or letter. It's expensive and inconvenient to send me packages, which is why I am so flattered when anyone goes to the trouble to do so.
  • Asked me how I really am. Everyone wants to hear that every day is the best day of my life, that I never work and I am basically on a super long vacation with never ending resources. It helps when you guys keep it real.
  • Surprised me. I love surprises, whether it be a gift, an email, a phone call, a gesture-- it doesn't matter. I love that you put the effort into catching me off guard with something that makes me smile.
  • Written me an extra long email. I love life updates. Again, people are under the impression that I have endless amounts of interesting stuff to say and can't be bothered with a boring, US based life. Wrong. I am dying to know how you are and what you are doing, so I really appreciate when you take the time to tell me.
  • Commented on my blog. I started this blog to keep in touch and to document my life abroad. It's nice to know people care enough to read it.
  • Met me for an extended coffee, lunch, dinner, etc. I love having long conversations with people who have interesting things to say. I've always been picky with friends and I feel lucky to have the friends I have here. I certainly chose quality over quantity and I don't regret it. 
I think each of you know who you are. I love you all so much. Things might not always go right for me and I may be the pickiest person in the world when it comes to choosing who I will spend time with, but that mindset has brought me to you, and for that I am grateful. 

Here are photos representing my first few months here.
June

July

August

September

October





7 comments:

  1. In case this wasn't already obvious, I am very proud of you that you are making this work. If that sounds ridiculous and too much like I'm taking the role of your parent, then you could say instead that I'm jealous, but that might just be because I miss my expatriate life. In any case, rock onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patrick! You have no reason to be jealous, you did it before me! You'll be an expat again someday if you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekly meetings count as video chats, right?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing about everything, because some people (like myself) are too shy to ask, but we really do want to know how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily and Alex- video meetings totally count. I meant to tag you guys on facebook but was was almost 2am and I had already done 16 tags haha. Emily, you are totally my #1 blog fan too haha. Alex- I'm glad. Luckily I have Emily to tell me about your life, but you should give me some first hand stuff sometimes too! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm such an awesome friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're freakin' adorable. And sweet. You deserve great friends in your life and I'm glad you're doing so well.

    ReplyDelete