Sunday, August 15, 2010

Relaxing Weekend

Last week was pretty normal, added some new students but lost a few. My issues with American Forum --the institute I tried to quit but was not able to-- are getting annoying. One of my 2 students decided he was too busy to learn English and quit. I was fine with this because I don't like him and immediately replaced him with another student from Profesores Nativos. (by the way you can now see my video for that agency here . She compressed it so my eyes are crazy and it looks like the words don't match up to my mouth.) AF is trying to force me to take a new student in the same timeslot and I'm pretty much avoiding it. All they can do is tell me I can't work there anymore, which is exactly what I wanted anyway.

On Saturday Rosie, Jorge, Jenny and I went to this weird place called Tierra Santa (Saint Land). It's a park about Jesus, but it's more like a creepy, poorly made living museum. We assumed most people went to this place as a joke, but we found we were the only ones not amazed and humbled by the giant Jesus who rises out of a cave every 30 minutes. We had lunch at these pseudo Arabian cafe within the park. Interesting. I really enjoyed the cab ride there, our cab driver heard us speak English and immediately assumed playing Elvis would make us very happy. we sang along to Hound dog, so I guess he was right.

Jenny and I have actually kept up with our squash! We now have Squash Wednesdays, we meet for squash, have lunch then head into the suburbs together for work. We had to reschedule for today (Saturday) this week, but we extended our reservation to an hour and a half. I'm pumped.

I've been super busy again, tutoring, babysitting and making up hours for the family. Jenny and I have planned a chill weekend for her birthday weekend (she turns 24 on Monday). Last night we went to this cool Moonlight Yoga event. It goes from 9:30-1:30am, it's a really long yoga class then a vegetarian dinner. We didn't know the class was not for beginners so we felt a little stupid next to the people who had been doing yoga for 10 years. The instructor was super nice but being singled out after the class with tips was a little embarrassing. The dinner, admittedly, went better for Jenny than me. We split up and chose different tables. My table was terrible, they were not friendly at all. The only guy that talked was actually from St. Louis, too. However, he was really annoying and lame. Jenny's table was lively and fun. I think we'll try again though.

I've been trying to get into the local scene here. I make an effort to talk to musicians and search out cool clubs. Jenny and I met a couple of cool guys at a coffee shop and went to a club they were playing at. It was expensive but the music was really fun, I'd like to go again sometime. I also got some cool suggestions from my students. I really miss open mic nights.

Lucy, the 15 year old from the US went home. I bought her an Argentine scarf so she can feel Argentine forever. I also convinced Gracia to let me take Lucy and Jose to China Town and then Ana and Lucy to this special homemade paper store in the city. It was a lot of travel time but I had a good time. Unfortunately, while I was with Ana and Lucy, an old lady nearly got run over by bus. This tiny old lady was getting off the bus and the bus driver closed the door and started driving while her arm was still inside. Everyone screamed and he stopped but she had fallen over. The bus driver had to get off and another man helped the lady up. We all had to get off and get on another bus. Crazy!

The other day I got an an argument with my landlord about there being no water in my apartment (really unpleasant) and then had a slight issue with a friend here. I was really agitated and wanted to go for a run but didn't have the time. I got overly pensive on my long bus ride to work and missed friends from back home. I'm doing good now though, excited for the rest of the chill weekend. I'd like to be as relaxed and Ana and Lucy were on the bus ride home:

No comments:

Post a Comment