Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Overdue Life Update

My apologies, I haven't written a proper life update in a while and it occurred to me that some of you might care what I've been up to. A lot is going on in my life!


I finished Fitness Challenge #2! That was awhile ago but I realized I posted a 50% finished update and never said I finished! I did skip 2 days total, but for 60 days and  fitness challenges, I think 2 days is a pretty good record, don't you?

I still have not started my job in Buenos Aires. This is probably one of the most frustrating things I have ever been through. I got the job at the end of December and here I am, 3 months later, still not working. All the papers arrived in the country a few days ago and were passed over to the legal translators and lawyers. I was thrilled, thinking I was almost there. However, my Missouri background check may or may not be accepted, I might need the FBI one which will take a good 20+ days more to arrive here. We're not sure, I'll find out at my appointment on April 6th. If they say no, I will probably burst into tears on the spot or punch someone. Perhaps both. Let's hope none of that is necessary.

I am not currently in Buenos Aires, I'm actually in the middle of a two week trip through La Pampa region of Argentina. I have officially started working on the Argentina Go! Girl Guide. I am thrilled, to say the least. In 8 months the Argentina Go! Girl Guide will be out and available for purchase, written by yours truly. Please buy one then come visit me!

This trip includes 5 cities (6 if you include the few miserable hours I spent in Paysandu, Uruguay, which I do not- see: Dear Uruguay).

My first stop was Colón. I know what you are thinking, but it's not pronounced like the body part! I did, however, humour Emily by purchasing her a keychain that says "Colon tiene magia" (Colon has magic).
It's a tiny beach town. The river beaches are pretty nice and the town is so small you can leave your stuff on the beach while you swim. However, I was unimpressed with Colón until I went on an ecotour that involved a boat ride to an uninhabited island between Uruguay and Argentina. The tranquility and natural beauty was stunning.
The beach in Colon

No people, no buildings, just me on an uninhabited island


Next was Santa Fe. I was very happy to get to a pseudo-city but quickly saddened to find they practice the "no work between 1 and 5" rule. That means you can do NOTHING during that time. No eating. No entertainment. Nothing. However, it was a city on the river with a decent night life and some cool sites.
I didn't stay here, I just enjoy the sign. Very Don Quijote.

Fountains near the river at night

I spent 1 day in Paraná. It's a cool town but in many ways just mirrors Santa Fe, which is only 40 minutes away.

Church next to Plaza 25 de Mayo in Parana

One of the many ice creams I have consumed during my trip.

Currently, I am in Rosario and absolutely loving it. Not only has this been my favorite city on this trip, it is one of my favorite cities I have ever visited. The architecture is beautiful, the monuments are amazing, I saw Che's birth home and the people are awesome. I'm staying with a married couple I found on couchsurfing, they are excellent. I feel guilty because they treat me so well. Tomorrow is my last day, I wish I could stay longer! I'll definitely be back.
Monument in Parque Espana. I climbed ALL those stairs.

At Che's birth home, holding a sign that says "(El Corazon de) Jose Velez estaba aqui. -the heart of) Jose Velez was here. 


The pedestrian walkway at night

In short: I am getting paid to travel and write a book and eating ice cream at least once a day. My life is wonderful.



  

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome, Rease! I can't wait for your book to come out; I will be the first in line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andi- So true! I'm still very excited to meet up with you before your wedding when you come!

    @Roxy- Really? I can see the photo. Don't worry, I have tons of ice cream photos and they'll all be on FB when I get back.

    ReplyDelete